In this article, we will be going to learn about the educational philosophy of Mahatma Gandhi. Mahatma Gandhi is known as the “Father Of Nation”. He was born on 2nd October 1869 at Porbandar. Gandhi Ji father was diwan of porbandar. Gandhi Ji mother name was Putlibai. Gandhi Ji was sent to London for studying the law when he was only 18 years old.
After coming back from London he started practising law in Bombay. After some time he gave up his law practice and devoted his all-time to the nation and the service of its people. According to Mahatma Gandhi, the meaning of education is “All Round Development Of Individuals”. Gandhi Ji said, “By education, I mean all-round drawing out of the best in child and man-body, mind and spirit”.
Gandhiji wanted education to lead to physical, intellectual and spiritual development.
Educational Philosophy Of Mahatma Gandhi
We have collected some of the points on the educational philosophy of Mahatma Gandhi:
He emphasized on human unity and unity in diversity.
Belief In God
For Mahatma Gandhi Ji God is everything. God is eternal love and peace. God is the ultimate reality. Everyone should love and respect God.
Non-Violence Or Ahimsa
As we all know he emphasised on Ahimsa or non-violence and peace.
He said that the true religion of humans is love and everyone should respect each other. It is the core philosophy of Mahatma Gandhi.
Brotherhood Of Man
He said that society should be free from wealth, caste, religion, colour, creed and power.
Truth is one of the core philosophies of Gandhi ji. He said that a person should always speak the truth.
Gandhi Ji said that a person should be fearless or free from fear, He believed an only a fearless person can achieve ahimsa and know the truth.
Aims Of Gandhi Ji Education
- Bread and butter aim.
- Cultivation of higher values in life.
- Cultural aim.
- Character aim.
- Perfect Development aim.
Curriculum As Per Gandhi Ji
He emphasized activity-based learning. An activity like weaving, paper designing, carpentry, fruit and flower cultivation, poultry, handloom, metal works, agricultural works, etc. should be included in the syllabus.
These should be the basic language for communication and instruction at a basic level.
Subjects like history, geography, mathematics, physical education, social sciences, civics. All these subjects should be introduced in connection with life.
Place For Hindustani
- The national language should be teached in the social curriculum.
- He emphasized learning of physical science for the self defence and good will of health.
- Gandhi Ji Planned learning of home science for the girls.
Gandhi Ji’s Teaching System
While teaching his children’s Gandhi Ji realised that teacher should also add these points while teaching:
- Medium of instruction should be mother tongue
- Learning by doing or activity based learning.
- Lecture and questioning method.
- Teaching through creative and productive activities.
- He also emphasized on free and compulsory education of children from 7 to 14 years for age.
Discipline As Per Gandhi Ji
- He emphasised that discipline come from self control and self discipline.
- Gandhi ji said that inner disciline is good, the discipline comes from the inside is always good.
- The main motive of education is to make good citizen for the country and develops the individual which respect each other.
- Gandhi ji emphasised on fearlessness environment for making a child self discipline.
Teacher As Per Gandhi Ji
- Gandhi Ji believed that only the right teacher can help the student to grow in his career and achieve the right goal.
- A teacher should have a good knowledge, enthusiasm, skill and special training. The teacher should behave like a friend with this students.
- Teacher should belived in Ahimsa and truth.
- A teacher should be a nationalist.